February 22, 2012 in Making our House a Home
When I first posted our plans and inspiration for our Master Bedroom renovation, I showed you this bed, The Pottery Barn Stratton Bed, and shared that we intended to make our own. Usually, it is pictured with an uholstered headboard like this one (we decided to make something like that, too):
So we measured and sketched and shopped around for baskets and wood and stain. And then got busy…I am so grateful to have a handy hubby……and couldn’t ask for a sweeter helper:I WAS going to show you our scrap paper sketches that we used as plans….but then I discovered THESE FABULOUS PLANS, from Ana White, Homemaker. Oh how I wish we had found these before we made our own…they are so professionally done, detailed, and helpful.We discovered and printed them off a few hours into our project and were glad to have them (Click here to see OUR bed on Ana White, Homemaker)
Basically, the bed is 3 separate shelving units with a center plank to span the gap. Here they are all separated and ready to stain. (No need for sawhorses when your husband is a homebrewer…just grab a few kegs that are lying around!)
Staining the was at least as big of a job as building them. First Rodney went around with a clear wiping stain from Old Master’s. We decided to do this because we used the cheapest kind of plywood you can get…a soft wood with lots of knots and rough grain. The wiping stain helped to moisturize the wood, and since it is clear, it doesn’t matter if more soaks in on some places than others. It “evened” out the wood surface to prepare it to accept the colored stain more evenly.
I followed behind Rod with Dark Mahogany Gel Stain, also from Old Master’s. I DEFINITELY prefer working with gel stain on anything other than a flat surface…no drips!! Here it is after the first coat (it required two coats). Here is the same piece with a second coat of stain and a nice treatment of paste wax coating (Paste Wax comes in a smallish can and offers a matte finish rather than the glossy look of varnish…you rub it on with steel wool or a cloth and then buff it with a soft cloth): You gotta LOVE all that under the bed storage that is also decorative!!While we gave the stain and wax time to cure, we cleared out the bedroom (a big job!) to make room for our king-size creation.
…and got to work constructing the headboard:Here is how we did it. We started with a big sheet of wood the same width as the shelf that would be at the foot of the bed. Since we used plywood, we put a one inch facing piece of wood around the outside edges. We stained this part as we stained the rest of the bed pieces, as well as the facing pieces you see above (2 inch wide strips of pine).Then we added cotton batting above the level of the bed itself (but below the level of the mattress). The amount of you use is pure preference, but you’ll probably want to err on the side of too much since it gets compacted quite a bit when you stretch the fabric over it. We used 3 layers of a very high loft batting.Then stretch fabric over it. Use a staple gun or a bunch of small nails to stretch and secure the fabric. The pottery barn original is just one big piece…but we sectioned it for a couple of reasons. 1. As long as a king-size headboard is, it would be hard to stretch the fabric nice and tight across the whole section and the middle would always seem a bit loose. 2. I bought this fabric before I knew what I would do with it, and only had 2 yards…about 2 inches short of spanning the whole length of the headboard with one solid piece. We then used a finishing gun to attach the wood facing pieces. I think if we were to do this again, though we would have screwed pilot holes and then attached them from the back. There is so much bulk in between the facing pieces and the headboard itself that you need a good tight hold.There it is…Ready for the bed Here is a Pinterest-friendly summary of the process of putting the headboard together:
I know our bedding is not as fancy as the stuff you see in the Pottery Barn catalog…but these cotton duvet covers are extremely comfortable and practical for our family bed. I’ll tell you more about how I made them tomorrow
If you are new to my Big Bedroom Swap Around Project, click on the following links to get caught up:
I’m linking up: